I was surprised it wasn't about location independence

Imagine being location independent. My imagination works very well, sometimes too well.  It can scare the bejesus out of me.  Fortunately today I don’t have to imagine the location independence thing; I am living it.  Today I answered email from a client, wrote and posted the blog challenge from a cafe, and was chauffeured through wine tasting country by an able bodied man whose first priority is my happiness.  That sounds like a cheesy novel, I know.  However it is the truth.

This blog post is in response to Natalie’s 10 Day Freedom Plan Blog Challenge Day 9, and I propose location independence is more about independence than the location thing.  I didn’t ask permission to participate in the blog challenge or go on a wine country tour. I worked long hours before leaving to ensure there was income while we played and toured. And, I have committed to posting every blog over the ten day challenge.  Whatever the decision it was made independently, which means I have to live with the outcomes. 


Independence means acting like an adult, in a good way.  It means you enjoy the perks, understand the trade-offs, stay true to yourself, and keep your commitments. When all those things are lined up, independence is a good gig. Like a good marriage, independence is not for the flighty or the faint of heart. But if you have the fortitude and the commitment to make independence work, you will enjoy the rewards which may include a variety of locations. 

Comments

  1. So true, Joy. Al and I have a smaller income because I followed my passions instead of a steady and lucrative career path, and because he chose to retire early rather than kill himself in a job he did not like. We are healthier and spiritually stronger because we chose to move closer to family -- kids and grandkids -- to a landscape that spoke to us. There are drawbacks to every choice, and you live with it, knowing you are living by your choices.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment