Hold, Fold, Walk, or Run

I tried really hard to write a post yesterday because that is my commitment to you, but it just didn't work.  I couldn't plait together a thought braid that seemed worthy of posting, so after lots of use of the delete button I shut the computer down and walked away.  A line from a good old country song comes to mind, "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run."  Yep, Kenny Rogers had it right.  I needed to walk away.

Walking away from the computer yesterday morning wasn't easy.  There was a restless energy in the whole house.  It was moving day for the #1 son and daughter-in-law, and I was heading to a conference on co-ops in Red Deer so I wasn't much help on the moving front.  Even the dogs knew something big was afoot, they couldn't decide if they wanted to be outside barking at the imaginary deer or inside following the humans up and down as they carried armloads of belongings.  A similar level of indecision plagued me at the keyboard.

Should I write about this or that, or something else entirely?  Should I attempt to hook multiple ideas together or just walk away?  I decided to hold onto some of those ideas, fold them up in a little idea bundle, and walk away until I could sort them properly into something sensible.  I needed to sit a while watching and waiting while the fog of indecision lifted.

It is truly out of character for me to be indecisive, but I'm still sitting with my little idea bundle.  I'm stuck on last week's post and I'm not sure why.  Any of you wise readers have any insight?  

Comments

  1. Life is filled with both elements: "don't just stand there, do something" and "don't just do something, stand there"
    Keep the faith as you discern the Spirits' guidance through the opportunities provided!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I identify. I love reading your blog, Joy, and I missed it yesterday, but I give you big permission to pause. Know when to hold 'em...but also know how to wait.
    The most interesting and important line to me is, "I'm stuck on last week's post." Something is waiting to be born, but the gestation is not completed?
    Something I learned in a class last week: know how important a pause is. The space between the actions speaks as loudly as the actions themselves. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment